DAVAO CITY (MindaNews/July 09) – The National Bureau of Investigation (NBI)-Davao said it had launched a separate investigation into the July 2 shooting at a bar in Davao City where 19-year-old Amierkhan Mangacop , was shot by Dr. Marvin Rey Andrew R. Pepino, medic at Camp Sgt. Quintin M. Merecido Hospital at the Regional Police Office (PRO) here.
This after the city attorney’s office issued an order dated July 6 – a copy of which was released to the media on July 8 – ordering all investigative units, including NBI-Davao, to submit evidence within 10 days, after the victim’s family asked the agency to handle the investigation and asked the police to suppress the case.
Pepino is the son of the late Major General Marvin Manuel Pepino, who was director of the Cybercrime Investigation Bureau of the Cybercrime Investigation and Coordination Center.
Mangacop was a 9th grade student at the Catalunan Grande National High School who wanted to be a sailor to help his cash-strapped family in the province of Maguindanao.
On Friday, NBI-Davao spokesman Ely Leano told reporters the agency would conduct a thorough and comprehensive assessment of the incident.
“NBI has a mandate to investigate all forms of cases on its own initiative or when the public interest requires it. In this particular case, no less than the victim’s family, through their lawyers, asked this office to intervene. Of course, we will conduct a parallel investigation with our PNP counterparts,” he said.
The Mangacop family wanted the NBI-Davao to investigate the shooting incident as they felt the police could not be objective and fair in investigating the incident amid recent supportive police ‘statements and actions’. to Pepino, suggesting, among other things, that it was an “act of self-defense” after the suspect was allegedly mutilated.
The suspect shot the victim following a commotion at the Lugar Café and Bar at the corner of V. Mapa and J. Camus Extension streets on July 2.
Colonel Albert Lupaz, director of the Davao Police Office (DCPO), told a press conference last Monday that Pepino acted only in self-defense and that it was only because of his drunk that he had shot Amierkhan seven times.
Gibb Andrew Cabahug, the lawyer for the Mangacop family, told a news conference on Friday that police described Pepino as the “victim” of the incident.
He said Pepino was the unlawful assailant, not Amierkhan, and the suspect was not there to quell the unrest contrary to claims by law enforcement authorities.
Mangacop was at home sleeping when the commotion happened and he only went to the bar when his cousin called to be picked up, the ‘Justice for Amier Mangacop’ Facebook page said. created by his family, friends and supporters.
Cabahug said Pepino could not invoke self-defense because the assault was inflicted on the person of the victim and his cousins.
“How can you defuse the situation if you are angry? Marvin Pepino, at that time, was very angry. He was shouting at the victim and his cousins, ‘sino kayo may ari kaayo ng shop?’ (Who are you? Are you the owner of this shop?) Is this the kind of person whose intention was just to pacify,” he said.
Leano assured the Mangacop family that the agency would “get both sides of the story and dig deeper in such a way that we will come or come to a well-substantiated and grounded conclusion.”
He assured both parties that the investigation would be conducted on the basis of “rigor and legality” to avoid bias or miscarriages of justice.
In a statement released Saturday, PRO-Davao said it recognizes the right of the Mangacop family to seek assistance from NBI-Davao.
He said that the murder complaint with all the necessary documents and evidence collected by the San Pedro police station had already been sent to the city attorney’s office last Monday.
A separate complaint for Section 31 of RA 10591 or the Comprehensive Regulation of Firearms and Ammunition Act has also been filed against the doctor. The law prohibits carrying a licensed firearm outside the residence without a license.
“For the information of the public, an administrative complaint has already been initiated and dealt with by our Regional Investigation and Management Division,” he said.
NBI-Davao Investigative Officer Juhary Guro said based on the initial evidence, there is a strong case for a murder against the suspect.
“We call on everyone who was there during the incident to voluntarily cooperate with us and those who upload video clips we call on to voluntarily cooperate with us and submit the video they took during the incident to us. “, he said. (Antonio L. Colina IV / MindaNews)