On Halloween we all love a good scare. But when it comes to your job search, we want to make sure there is nothing scary about it! Check out these career tips to make sure you don’t scare off potential employers.
Don’t be a ghost
Ghosting at work, whether you do it to an employer, or an employer does it to you, cause chaos for everyone. Not only is ghosting an employer or potential employer unprofessional, it is also dangerous. In fact, if a student does not show up for a shift at their job on campus and notify their boss in advance, supervisors are required to report that student as missing from the University. Networking continues to reign as the most powerful job search technique and ghost images burn bridges. In short, even turning down a job offer should involve open communication, as evidenced by the article: Ghosting an employer will backfire on you – send this email instead.
To learn more about ghosts in the workplace and other career topics, listen to and subscribe to the Montclair State Career Services Podcast, Manual or automatic: what gears are driving YOUR career!
Resurrect your CV
- Upload your CV for comments: Employers often frame their first impression of you based on your resume. Make sure your CV is up to date by adding any new activities and experiences as well as the skills and competences you have acquired or strengthened. Include relevant courses and update your GPA! Then upload your CV to Rent a red hawk for Career Services reviews.
- Are you ready for a career? The National Association of Colleges and Employers (NACE) has identified basic skills as a measure of career preparation. Evaluate if you have these skills and what you can improve on. When writing your resume and / or cover letter, be sure to highlight experiences that demonstrate these skills.
Build your website
Did you know that half to over 80% jobs are filled through networking? One of the best ways to grow your network is to connect with hiring managers and recruiters who host events for students at Montclair State University. Connect to your Rent a red hawk Account, then click Career Events in the left navigation to see all upcoming events and workshops.
Events to come
- Goldfish Swimming School Table: Wednesday, November 3, 11 a.m. to 3 p.m., Student Center, 2nd floor lobby.
- Protect yourself against fraud (campus to career): Wednesday November 3, 2:30 p.m. to 3:30 p.m., online.
- NJ Transit Internships summer 2022: Wednesday November 10, 11:45 a.m. – 12:45 p.m., online.
- Company information session: Thursday, November 18, 12 p.m.-12:45 p.m., online.
Decide that ‘witch’ jobs are right for you
On-campus and off-campus employers post jobs and internships for Rent a red hawk every week. To start looking for opportunities, log into your Rent a red hawk account using your netid and password (the same as your Montclair State and CANVAS email address), then click Jobs> Search in the left navigation. Here are a few that were posted this week!
To apply for these jobs:
New jobs and internships:
- Movado Group: IT Security Intern (17052)
- Belleville Public Library and Information Center: Social Media Intern (16690)
- Moet Hennessy: External in financial planning and analysis (17043)
- Chris Buck Photography: Photography Intern (17114)
- Lululemon: educator – Short Hills Mall (17022)
- Leveret Clothing: Marketing Director and Social Media Coordinator (17054)
- New York Bar Association: Diversity and Inclusion Coordinator (16968)
- IBISWorld: Business Research Analyst (17111)
The more you diversify your job search, the more likely you are to find opportunities that match your interests. View a list of other job search engines.
Career tips and treats
Want to access career resources on the go? Here are some freebies for you.
- Manual or automatic: which gears guide YOUR career is the Montclair State Career Services podcast. Hear Jeff Poulos and Adam Mayer discuss all things career-related, like screen fatigue, workplace tattoos, salary negotiations and more! Listen and subscribe!
- Workshops on demand let you watch recorded webinars when it’s convenient for you. Need help writing your CV? Are you preparing for an upcoming interview? Our webinars cover a wide range of career development topics. Look now!
- Connect to your Rent a red hawk Account from your phone! Download the Symplicity Careers and Jobs app to quickly search, filter and apply for jobs directly from your phone! You can also use the app to schedule counseling appointments, confirm attendance at events, and view career fair event details and booth maps, all on the go! Download the app now!