Atlanta Public Schools (APS) is accepting applications for General Administrative Transfers and Georgia Special Needs Scholarships from Monday, March 7 through Friday, March 25.
Georgia’s public school choice law allows residents of the city of Atlanta to attend a public school outside of their zoned APS school, if space is available. Students who live outside the district (nonresidents) and wish to attend an Atlanta public school may do so if spaces are available.
Non-resident students are required to pay tuition fees. Current tuition fees for non-resident students are as follows:
- General Education: $10,347
- Special Education: $15,198 plus costs for additional services based on individual need
- Evening high school: $744 per class (non-resident), $149 per class (resident over 21), free (resident 16-21)
The Atlanta School Board will determine tuition for the 2022-2023 school year in the summer of 2022.
APS offers two types of transfers:
- General administrative transfers – allows a student to attend an out-of-zone school up to the highest grade offered at the school. Students are accepted according to the places available in the requested school.
- Georgia Special Needs Scholarship Transfers – allows students eligible for special education to request a transfer to another APS school on the basis of special needs. Approval is subject to the availability of places in the requested school. In order to qualify for the GSNS transfer, the student must meet the following conditions:
- The student’s parent(s) currently reside in Georgia and have resided in Georgia for at least one calendar year; and
- The student attended school during the 2021-2022 school year at a public K-12 school in Georgia and this attendance is reflected in both full-time enrollment of October 2021 and March 2022 at school.
General Administrative Transfers and Georgia Special Needs Scholarship Transfer Requests will be accepted ohonline at http://www.atlanta.k12.ga.us/transfers and in person by appointment only at the APS Student Assignments Department, 130 Trinity Avenue, 2n/a Floor, Atlanta, GA 30303, 8:30 a.m. to 4 p.m., Monday through Friday.
To schedule an in-person appointment, call 404-802-2233 or click HERE to schedule an appointment. Parents can apply at any time during the application window. Applications submitted on the last day receive the same treatment as applications submitted on the first day.
Student transportation under the public school choice option is the responsibility of the parent. A list of schools accepting transfers is currently available on the APS website: http://www.atlanta.k12.ga.us/transfers.